Monday, January 02, 2006

Lettuce Begin

Last Years Harvest

This Years Hope
Although January 2nd seems early to start lettuce in the northeastern part of the US, I have a plan. This year I'm building a cold frame attached to a southern wall of my brick house. I'm hoping that with a few tricks, I can keep it above freezing starting in February. Some of the ways I hope to achieve this will include, insulation, thermal mass, composting and of course, most importantly, the sun. It's in the planning stage now and I won't have time to build it until after mid January. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of the building site and some more of my ideas. In the mean time my first task is to buy a high/low thermometer. I'd love to hear from others who have used passive solar to get a jump start on the growing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment