Tuesday, January 10, 2006

ARF/5-A-Day Blueberries

This is my post for ARF/5-A-Day Tuesdays later tonight over at Sweetnicks. ARF stands for antioxidant rich food.
I'm getting ready to go on vacation and haven't been cooking much lately, and you can see that in the interest of having a post I've actually posted a 'recipe' for a bowl of oatmeal. Talk about scrapping the bottom of the blogging barrel. What's next, a recipe for ice water??
So here is my bowl of oatmeal dressed up to qualify as an ARF post. Despite the fact that it's so easy to prepare, otameal really does make a nice breakfast. After eating oatmeal for breakfast it's unlikely that you will be hungry anytime before lunch. It really is very satisfying, yummy and actually is good for you.

Oatmeal with Blueberries and Cream
1/2 cup oats
1 cup water
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh are the best, but I used frozen)
2 tbs. light cream.

Mix together oatmeal and water and cook about 5 minutes over medium heat.
If you are using frozen blueberries, Defrost them in the microwave while the oatmeal is cooking.
When the oatmeal is cooked, put it into a bowl, add the blueberries, and then pour on the cream. Optionally, add a teaspoon of sugar if you like.
265 calories, 9 grams fat, lots of antioxidants

5 comments:

  1. Thanks looks delicious! And you gave me my laugh of the day ... recipe for ice water indeed! ;) Have fun on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this for breakfast all the time, it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:21 PM

    Please don't think I'm trying to quibble, but the USDA Nutrient Database says:
    1/2 cup oats: 303 calories, 5.4 gm fat
    1/2 cup blueberries: 41 calories, .55 gm fat
    2 Tbsp light cream: 58 calories, 5.8 gm fat
    Total: 402 calories, 11.75 fat gm

    I'd be relieved to hear that I'm mistaken -- it looks like a delicious breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon,
    I got my info from the labels on the ingredients I used. The info on oats from the Quakers Oats container of 1/2 cup (dry) 150 calories and 3 g. fat.
    The cream was 365 all natural light cream 30 calories, 3g fat per tbs, and blueberries were 365 organic frozen blueberries 3/4 cup 80 calories, no fat. We seem way off on the calories in oats. I also checked this link for oats
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:40 PM

    Thanks! Yes: it seems to be the oats causing the discrepancy -- my source was:
    http://cgi.fatfree.com/cgi-bin/fatfree/usda/usda-l1.cgi?OATS

    I'm trying it tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete