Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Smoked Paprika

A friend of mine, Pat, gave me a new ingredient to try the other day. A blogging opportunity, she called it. It was smoked paprika. I'm always up for trying new things and decided to use it tonight for dinner guests. The guests were my two daughters and future son-in-law si I figured experimentation was fine. With a freezer full of chickens from the 175 chickens that Farmer Judy and I raised last summer, I knew I'd use it in a chicken dish. Pat had been very helpful and also sent me links to recipes for the smoked paprika. The recipe I decided to make was 'Chicken Breasts with Paprika Cream Sauce'. I used the breasts, thighs and drumsticks instead of just breasts because I happened to have a whole chicken defrosted. The sauce with the smoked paprika was very good. You could definitely tell that the peppers for the paprika had been smoked. The only thing that I might change in the recipe is to just cook the chicken and then make the sauce at the end. It would be easier and I think I would like to sauce each serving individually. My daughters and I decided that the recipe as well as the new (to me) ingredient, smoked paprika are keepers.

If you live in the Boston area, Pat thinks she got the paprika at Wasik's cheese shop in Wellesley, MA. Its also called pimentón de la vera.

All the pictures I took before we ate dinner came out badly. We ran out of sauce and I whipped up a little more for the leftovers that Andrea took home. In this picture of the leftovers, the chicken is way oversauced but it does give you an idea of the beautiful color of the sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment