Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Tomatoes Tomatoes Tomatoes

The tomatoes at the top of the picture are the same ones that I was transplanting to bigger pots in this POST three weeks ago. Although I planted them much too early, I am still surprised at how large they've gotten. They were part of the fertilizer experiment the I described. I had to end the experiment early because it was taking up too much room. Because I did not want to mix the fertilizers, I had separate drip pans under each cell pack of 4. That was taking up too much valuable space. The plants fertilized with manure tea, organic plant-tone and organic fish fertilizer were all doing equally well. Not surprisingly, the control group plants that received no fertilizer were smaller. Some of those control group plants are in the second row from the left in the photo. The tomatoes were planted so early that it's not really a problem that the control group is smaller. They have all been transplanted again from 4 cell packs to 3 inch pots and look great. However they can not be planted outside for at least 7 more weeks here in Massachusetts! As soon as the nights get a little warmer though, they are headed out to the cold frame.

You may notice there are also more smaller tomatoes on the bottom of the picture. Those were a gift from my neighbor. He was telling me about some delicious purple tomatoes he grew last year and asked me if I wanted some seedlings. I can't refuse tomatoes and told him, yes that I'd love to try one ot two. Well he went into house and came back with a whole flat that had 8 purple tomatoes and four other varieties also. He said he was running out of space in his greenhouse. I wish I had a greenhouse in which to run out of space. How could I refuse. They are tomatoes. Is is possible to have too many tomatoes. I don't think so.

1 comment:

  1. What a coincidence! I did an update on my seedlings (and comparison tests) and then came here and saw yours.

    I agree - there is no such thing as too many tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete