Friday, February 03, 2006

Tiny Basil

It's probably too early to start seeds, but it's been such a warm winter that it always seems like spring is just around the corner and I had to start some seedlings. What you see here is basil finally starting to germinate after being planted on January 18th. Basil is usually slow to germinate for me. Maybe it's because I keep the house cool and it loves warm temperatures. The basil is necessary for my very favorite garden lunch. It's garden tomatoes, cut up with chopped basil, good olive oil and a little salt. I ate it constantly for lunch or with supper from mid July into October. I kept thinking I'd tire of it. I didn't. I refuse to buy tomatoes from the store. It's not worth it. I'll just wait until July. It's only less than half a year to go. :)

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that just the most rewarding sight in the gardener's world. It seems like a mix between relief and "I deserve that.." when they finally rear their beautiful green heads.

    Seedlings always astound me. Perhaps it's like watching birth over and over and over again. You can never get bored of it...

    Great to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete