Saturday, February 04, 2006

High Carb Cooking

This is the kind of supper I'm almost embarrassed to say I made. It was total comfort food, lots of carbs and little redeeming value, but oh so yummy. It's a nutella crepe.
At noon I'd eaten a delicious lunch of soup with homemade chicken stock, the kind that's all jellied when it's in the frig. The soup also had escarole and carrots. It tasted great, but, as I was to find out almost 6 hours later, it had little staying power. After lunch I left to do a list of errands. While doing them, I managed to get lost, get wet, get cold and finally get home tired and hungry with my throat feeling sore and my sinuses begging me to put hot towels on my face. I wanted to eat something easy, something warm and full of carbs. What I ended up making is crepes filled with nutella. This was not an upscale French restaurant kind of crepe. No, it was a large streets-of-Paris kind of crepe. Carbs filled with more carbs and folded over so that silverware in not required to eat it. Its something that's so easy to make with ingredients that are almost always on hand. It only takes a few minutes to make. In addition to my high carb nutella version, there is my daughter's favorite version, nutella and banana slices or the Americanized version, peanut butter and jelly crepes. There are many recipes for dinner or desert crepe, but her's my recipe for high carb crepes.

High Carb Crepes
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1 teaspoon melted butter or oil

1. Wisk together all ingredients until all lumps are removed.
2. In a 12 inch or larger oiled skillet pour about 1/4 to 1/2 cup batter.
3. Move the pan around to spread out the batter so it's thin.
4. Cook on both sides until done.
5. Remove pancake from the pan and spread with nutella, jam or some other high carb spread. Be creative.
6. Fold in half. Fold again in quarters. Fold again in eights if possible.
7. Eat while it's still warm.
8. Repete steps 2-7 until you come to your senses or fall into a carb induced stupor.

makes 3 or 4 large crepes

No comments:

Post a Comment