Tuesday, September 26, 2006

How to Weigh a Chicken - The Easy Way

Before today, each week I used to catch some of the chicks, put them in a cardboard box and weigh them and record the average weight. Today I couldn't find the cardboard box. The chickens showed me a much easier way to weigh them. Less than 30 seconds after putting the scale down, a little rooster would jump up and weigh himself. I'd record his weight, shoo him off and wait for the next one to jump on. I weighed three of them today this way. The average weight of these White Rocks rooster chicks was 1 pound 5.7 ounces. They are 6 weeks old.

3 comments:

  1. I love it too! Excellent photo! Love those tomatoes too down below. Keep warm... -Walter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd seen this post before but revisited. That second pic is a hoot - I love the way the other chickens are reading the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind/brand of scale is that? I think it would be fun to try weighing my chickens that way too :)

    They will definitely hop on any small raised platforms; I've got White Rocks as well.

    ReplyDelete